Friday, September 01, 2006

"Flaming Spirit"


31st August 1957 was the independence day of my beloved country. Yesterday was 31st August 2006 and definitely throughout the whole country we are making celebration to remember this meaningful day. The celebration is big, grand, and full with crowd especially in our happenings capital – Kuala Lumpur.

However, I as an undergraduate and being far apart from home was celebrating this memorable National Day with my friends and fellow brothers in campus. It was a countdown ceremony organized by Students’ Representative Council from my campus. The event started at 8.00pm but I was unable to show up early because I’m attending “Interfaith Talk” at the same time. After the talk finish, I hang around with my friends and decided to go support the countdown ceremony organized by our own campus.

It’s actually having drizzling rain at that moment. Well, we are amazed when we reached there and saw the seats under the canopy were actually fully occupied despite the misty rain. I was like “wow, not so bad after all”. Soon, I discovered that it is right for me to be there. Under the canopy everyone was waiting for the countdown and the emcees were busy thinking to come out with topics so that the atmosphere will not be so bored. When it reached the time that the emcees were out of ideas. The response from the audiences was unexpectedly overwhelmed! First we have a bunch of friends consisting all Malays, Indians, Chinese and even international students performing a “mix-dance” voluntarily. Now, how’s that? After that, we have another group of Arabian students actually volunteered to recite some kind of song of poem in Arabic language. That’s amazing and finally we reach the moment of countdown. While in the process of shouting “Five….Four…three…” I was actually observing people around me and I noticed that everyone was in joy and even international students were having great fun.

Suddenly something strike my mind during the moment of countdown. I feel that the true meaning of National Day or Independence Day is to continue the spirit of unity of diversity. It’s not about making the largest cake for Malaysia, forming the largest “Jalur Gemilang”, conquering the widest sea, or persuading the highest mountain; but to continue the spirit that we formed long time ago to achieve independent in 1957. It’s about strengthening the spirit we have. It’s the day of memorizing a formation of strong alliance and unity between different races and religious. Learn from our ancestors who are once living in kampong together with all other races. The harmony and peaceful way of living should be preserved and to be reminded in this meaningful day! Say no to all those junk RECORDS!


with some sprinkle of devil's spell...walla! a small flag on my desk..hehe...small enough to celebrate merdeka...hoho

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home